Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Fun visits and interesting epiphanies

Yesterday my old friend Missy came to visit from South Carolina. I haven't seen her for four or more years so it was pretty exciting. She was practically a member of the family for many years. And my mom basically thinks of her as one of her own daughters, so she was as excited to see her as I was. She could only stay for about an hour and a half, but she will be coming for a few more hours on Friday. There's so much to catch up on we didn't know where to start. I also went and hung out with my friend Amy, whom I have seen for a month or so. It was fun to catch up with her as well.

Then today in devotional at BYU the speaker was speaking about adoption. It was somewhat interesting, but not really something I felt compelled to listen to and I was thinking about the many things I needed to be doing, then suddenly he began expounding a scripture I had been pondering and wondering about just yesterday. In Alma 11, Amulek is talking to Zeezrom about how Christ is the very Eternal Father (vs. 38-39 "Now Zeezrom saith again unto him: Is the Son of God the very Eternal Father? And Amulek said unto him: Yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth, and all things which in them are). I have always been confused by how Christ can be the Son and the Father. The speaker explained that through Christ's atonement, He paid the price for each of us and thus adopted us. Adoption is a gift of life and a gift of love, and what greater gift of life and love than the Atonement? Through His atonement Christ gave us the gift of eternal life and thus became our Eternal Father. It was quite an epiphany for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home